The Best Curcumin Supplements You Can Buy
Edited and medically reviewed by ✔️ Team of BestInSupplements | Written by Katelyn Johnson (B.S. and M.S. in Nutrition Science)
Curcumin supplements are incredible at boosting health. Which one has the best reviews and is most effective though? Read this article on the best curcumin supplements you can buy to find out.
Turmeric, a bright yellow spice, has been used in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine for centuries for its healing properties. The plant is widely used as a dietary health supplement due to its active compound curcumin, which has antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties 1.
Turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties can be attributed to curcumin, which is the primary active component that also gives the spice its distinctive bright yellow color 2. A turmeric supplement may help reduce joint inflammation and pain associated with osteoarthritis. Curcumin may also reduce the risk of heart disease, peptic ulcers, and cancer, according to animal studies 3.
Talking about joint pain: The Best Joint Pain Supplements You Can Buy
The following list includes the best turmeric (curcumin) supplements available to purchase on the market.
Best Overall: Thorne Research Meriva-SF
Thorne's sustained-release Meriva curcumin supplement is a top-rated curcumin supplement due to its high-quality, bioavailable formula that is free of gluten, dairy, and soy. Thorne Research Meriva-SF uses Meriva, a well-studied form of curcumin because it is shown to have an absorption rate that is 29x greater than regular curcumin 4.
Each tablet contains 250 milligrams of curcumin phytosome, which is curcumin bound to a lipid in order to improve absorption; this formula uses sunflower seed oil.
One study found that osteoarthritis patients supplementing with Meriva-containing tablets over an 8-month time frame saw improvements in disease control, decreased their use of NSAIDs for pain, and felt an overall improvement in quality of life 5.
Thorne suggests taking one to two capsules twice a day, or as directed by your healthcare provider.
Best for Joint Pain: Garden of Life Organics Maximum Strength Turmeric
Garden of Life's Organics Maximum Strength Turmeric supplement combines black pepper, ginger, and turmeric to create an anti-inflammatory remedy that is highly effective and an excellent choice for those seeking to alleviate joint pain 6-8.
Each once-daily tablet contains 500 milligrams of curcuminoids, which is the active compound in turmeric shown in studies to help reduce pain in people with osteoarthritis. Ginger is a potent compound with anti-inflammatory properties 7. Additionally, studies show that the piperine in black pepper increases curcumin absorption and bioavailability by up to 2000% 6.
Garden of Life's Turmeric supplement is USDA Organic, Certified Vegan, and NSF-Certified Gluten-Free.
Best Budget: Nature Made Turmeric
Turmeric supplements vary in price, and the quality and effectiveness usually correspond with the price. Nature Made Turmeric capsules, on the other hand, are an exception. They're inexpensive without sacrificing quality.
The supplements are guaranteed to meet Nature Made's quality standards, and each capsule contains 47.5 milligrams of total curcuminoids. Because curcumin is fat-soluble, taking it with a meal is shown to improve absorption 9.
Nature Made suggests taking one capsule per day with water and a meal. The gluten-free capsules are also free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Best Capsules: Vimerson Health Turmeric Curcumin
Curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory, with some studies indicating that it is as effective as anti-inflammatory drugs without the side effects 10. If you suffer from chronic inflammation or osteoarthritis on a regular basis, turmeric curcumin capsules from Vimerson Health are an excellent supplement to try.
The formula contains 1,200 milligrams of turmeric root, 100 milligrams of turmeric root extract, and 10 milligrams of BioPerine per serving and is made entirely of natural, non-GMO ingredients.
How magnesium can improve your health: The Best Magnesium Supplements You Can Buy
BioPerine is a patented black pepper extract that contains piperine, an active compound shown to increase the bioavailability of turmeric by 2000%, which subsequently improves absorption 11.
It is free of hormones, preservatives, artificial ingredients, and antibiotics, as well as sugar, yeast, starch, and cholesterol. The supplement is also manufactured in an FDA-registered, GMP-certified facility to ensure the highest quality and purity.
Best Powder: New Chapter Turmeric Force Supplement
Turmeric powder is an excellent way to incorporate turmeric into your diet without taking a pill. The Fermented Turmeric Booster Powder by New Chapter is an easily digestible powder that contains anti-inflammatory turmeric as well as probiotics.
The premium powder is USDA Organic, vegan, NSF-Certified Gluten-Free, and Non-GMO Project Verified. In addition to the beneficial probiotics Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus acidophilus, each half-teaspoon serving contains 1,190 milligrams of organic turmeric. This fermented functional food can be an excellent smoothie enhancer, adding potent anti-inflammatory properties to any daily blend.
Best Gummy: Garden of Life MyKind Organics Turmeric GummY
Garden of Life's Mykind Organics Turmeric Inflammatory Response Gummies is a great option if you prefer a sweet, chewable gummy to swallow pills or mixing powder. The tasty fruit-flavored gummies are free of synthetic sweeteners, purely sweetened with natural fruit juices.
Each gummy is 35 calories and provides 254 milligrams of Certified Organic Turmeric Blend, which includes 50 milligrams of powerful curcuminoids. Each serving contains seven grams of sugar from organic fruit, so keep this in mind if you're watching your sugar intake.
Reinforce your vitamin B12 levels: The Best B12 Supplements You Can Buy
The gummies are made from real fruit and do not contain any animal gelatin. They're also non-GMO Project Verified, USDA Organic Certified, and NSF Certified Gluten-Free.
Best Extra Strength: Qunol Turmeric
Qunol's Extra Strength Turmeric is among the best curcumin supplements you can buy. Qunol's Extra Strength Turmeric contains 1,000 mg of Turmeric that has been bio-enhanced with water dispersion technology for superior absorption in the body.
The powerhouse component curcuminoids, found in Qunol Turmeric, promotes joint comfort by supporting a healthy inflammatory response associated with physical overexertion. This curcumin supplement also contains antioxidants that your body requires for optimal health.
Unlike regular turmeric, this one is easily dissolved. The enhanced turmeric complex in the extra strength formula contains 1,000mg, ensuring that you receive the full benefits. This complex is cGMP-compliant and high-quality guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hewlings SJ, Kalman DS. Curcumin: A Review of Its Effects on Human Health. Foods. 2017; 6(10):92.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Turmeric. Updated May 2020.
- Rahmani AH, Alsahli MA, Aly SM, Khan MA, Aldebasi YH. Role of Curcumin in Disease Prevention and Treatment. Adv Biomed Res. 2018;7:38. doi:10.4103/abr.abr_147_16
- Cuomo J, Appendino G, Dern AS, et al. Comparative Absorption of a Standardized Curcuminoid Mixture and Its Lecithin Formulation. J Nat Prod. 2011;74(4):664-669. doi:10.1021/np1007262
- Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Dugall M, et al. Efficacy and safety of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, during extended administration in osteoarthritis patients. Altern Med Rev. 2010;15(4):337-344.
- Shoba G, Joy D, Joseph T, Majeed M, Rajendran R, Srinivas PS. Influence of Piperine on the Pharmacokinetics of Curcumin in Animals and Human Volunteers. Planta Med. 1998;64(4):353-356. doi:10.1055/s-2006-957450
- Anh NH, Kim SJ, Long NP, et al. Ginger on Human Health: A Comprehensive Systematic Review of 109 Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrients. 2020;12(1):157. doi:10.3390/nu12010157
- Nakagawa Y, Mukai S, Yamada S, et al. Short-term effects of highly-bioavailable curcumin for treating knee osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled prospective study. J Orthop Sci. 2014;19(6):933-939. doi:10.1007/s00776-014-0633-0
- Stohs SJ, Chen O, Ray SD, Ji J, Bucci LR, Preuss HG. Highly Bioavailable Forms of Curcumin and Promising Avenues for Curcumin-Based Research and Application: A Review. Molecules. 2020;25(6):1397.
- Shep D, Khanwelkar C, Gade P, Karad S. Safety and efficacy of curcumin versus diclofenac in knee osteoarthritis: a randomized open-label parallel-arm study. Trials. 2019;20(1):214.
- Shoba G, Joy D, Joseph T, Majeed M, Rajendran R, Srinivas PS. Influence of Piperine on the Pharmacokinetics of Curcumin in Animals and Human Volunteers. Planta Med. 1998;64(4):353-356.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.