Great Lakes Collagen Reviews, Ingredients, Does It Work?
Edited and medically reviewed by ✔️ Team of BestInSupplements | Written by Katelyn Johnson (B.S. and M.S. in Nutrition Science)
For those who want to learn about a revolutionary collagen supplement, our detailed review of Great Lakes Collagen has it all. Does it work? Is it safe? What are the benefits and ingredients? Read on.
Collagen, the most abundant protein in our bodies, is a vital nutrient required for healthy hair, skin, and joints, as well as many other bodily functions. In this review, you will find all the info you need in case you are going to buy Great Lakes Collagen.
Collagen is a fibrous protein largely responsible for the strength and structure of body parts such as skin, bones, muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and the digestive system. It also aids in the resistance of tissues to stretch 1.
This review is part of: The Best Bovine Collagen Peptides You Can Buy
This can be seen in your skin's elasticity when you're younger, which fades as you age - around 25-30 years of age - due to a decrease in collagen production. As our body begins to produce less collagen, the result is those physical manifestations of aging, such as wrinkles, dry, “crinkly,” and saggy skin, weak and aching joints, and so on.
However, taking a collagen supplement like Great Lakes Collagen can reduce visible wrinkles, as well as keep your joints mobile and pain-free, your hair and nails looking great, and even improve your sleep and post-workout recovery 2,3.
The collagen in Great Lakes Collagen is a hydrolyzed form of collagen (broken down for easier digestion) that provides numerous benefits. Including, easily incorporating it into your smoothie, coffee, juice, or baked goods.
Great Lakes Collagen is keto and paleo-friendly, non-GMO, low-sodium, low-fat, and free of preservatives, gluten, and pesticides.
Here You Will Discover More About:
Great Lakes Collagen Benefits
Great Lakes Collagen can help reduce collagen loss caused by age, habits, and the environment.
Using Great Lakes Collagen can improve physical appearance, including softer, tighter, younger-looking skin, healthier and thicker hair, stronger and more resilient nails. It may even help to smooth out cellulite and diminish age spots 4.
Learn more about this brand: Best Great Lakes Supplements You Should Know
Collagen is required by your joints to repair and maintain healthy cartilage. This contributes to cushioning and ease of movement rather than the pain and immobility that some of us associate with aging 5.
Great Lakes Collagen is excellent for post-workout recovery. Collagen protein benefits not only your skin, hair, nails, and joints, but also your muscles 6. In fact, collagen can help reduce post-workout inflammation and soreness by providing the building blocks for muscles to repair and grow, as well as reducing post-workout inflammation and soreness. This significantly aids in building and supporting healthy muscle tissue.
Because collagen is the main structural component that comprises the majority of our body's soft tissues - including blood, bones, and ligaments - it helps you stay flexible and strong while improving exercise performance. It also supplies amino acids that promote all cell growth, including blood cells.
Marketable health benefits of Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen go beyond overall body health. This collagen supplement improves liver and digestion function (assisting in body detox), improves cardiovascular and brain function, increases energy and metabolism (boosts ability to lose weight more quickly), and reduces appetite 7.
While Great Lakes Collagen is not a dedicated keto collagen powder like Orgain Keto, it is Keto-certified.
Great Lakes Collagen Ingredients
While other collagen powders may include extra nutrients like potassium or calcium, Great Lakes Collagen keeps its formula simple. This supplement contains only one effective ingredient: collagen hydrolysate protein sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised cows from Argentina and Brazil.
Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate is made by 'pre-digesting' gelatin with enzymes into peptides, or shorter amino acid molecules. This treatment promotes greater absorption and circulation. Collagen's amino acid composition is especially rich, with a high concentration of the amino acids: alanine, glycine, glutamic acid, hydroxyproline, and proline 8.
Interested in muscle recovery?: The Best Muscle Recovery Supplements You Can Buy
Additionally, collagen hydrolysate contains collagen types I and III, as well as magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus. Collagen types I and III strengthen connective tissue in our skin, bones, muscles, tendons, cartilage, nails, and teeth, while also promoting hardness and elasticity. They also play an important role in the body's self-healing abilities 8.
Calcium aids energy metabolism and digestion; calcium and phosphorus are beneficial to the teeth and skeleton; and calcium and magnesium are beneficial to the muscles, neurological system, and cell division process.
Is Great Lakes Collagen Safe?
Great Lakes states there is little to no risk of adverse reactions when it comes to collagen supplements. They are safe for children, nursing mothers, and those on medications. That said, it is still a good idea to consult with your doctor before supplementing with collagen.
Who Should Buy/Use Great Lakes Collagen?
This product is for anyone living an active lifestyle or for those who want to simply improve their health. This includes gym goers, endurance athletes, and seniors who have achy joints and ligaments.
There are supplements for joint pain: The Best Joint Pain Supplements You Can Buy
This product is recommended for those who want to look younger, strengthen and improve bones, nails, hair, muscles, and joints, boost energy and metabolism, feel more alert throughout the day, look for an effective appetite suppressant, or want to lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
Although no supplement is a miracle cure that can compensate for a lack of proper nutrition and adequate rest, if you want to make a healthier lifestyle change, collagen supplementation may be a good place to start.
It can assist you in transitioning away from processed foods and insufficient sleep by making you feel fuller and improving the quality of your sleep.
Great Lakes Collagen Reviews and Final Thoughts
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen has an overwhelming number of 5-star reviews and buyers rave about how powerful and effective this collagen supplement is. Based on reviews, the following are noticeable benefits that consumers experienced.
- Increased levels of energy.
- Softer, healthier skin with more elasticity.
- Reduction in fine lines around eyes.
- Significant metabolic boost.
- A major difference in texture and strength of the skin.
- In older populations of consumers, they experienced the color return of natural hair roots.
Many say this is one of the best collagen supplements (if not the best) on the market today. If you are searching for a top-rated, high-quality collagen supplement, Great Lakes Collagen has an impeccable record of quality and safety.
Great Lakes is a trustworthy brand that provides the buyer with complete openness about what is in the product. The packaging includes a full list of the amino acid content of the product.
Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate is made and packaged in the United States under rigorous hygienic circumstances that fulfill US Pharmacopeia criteria. The supplement is lab tested and the results are clearly printed on the packaging.
Although this product does not contain vitamin C, which is required for the absorption of collagen hydrolysate, this can easily be taken care of with efficient dietary intake of vitamin C.
Where to Buy Great Lakes Collagen
Given the product's popularity, there isn't a shortage of places to buy it. To purchase, Great Lakes’ website is a great place to start. You can also find this supplement for very reasonable prices at your favorite online health food store – like LuckyVitamins.com - or in person at Walmart, Target, and Walgreens.
The 16-oz size (about 38 12-gram servings) of Great Lakes Collagen costs around 25 dollars, and you can save an additional $2.60 per container if you sign up for auto-ship or order 6-or-more units.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Czajka, A., Kania, E. M., Genovese, L., Corbo, A., Merone, G., Luci, C., & Sibilla, S. (2018). Daily oral supplementation with collagen peptides combined with vitamins and other bioactive compounds improves skin elasticity and has a beneficial effect on joint and general wellbeing. Nutrition Research, 57, 97-108.
- Miller, B. F., Olesen, J. L., Hansen, M., Døssing, S., Crameri, R. M., Welling, R. J., ... & Rennie, M. J. (2005). Coordinated collagen and muscle protein synthesis in human patella tendon and quadriceps muscle after exercise. The Journal of physiology, 567(3), 1021-1033.
- Clark, K. L., Sebastianelli, W., Flechsenhar, K. R., Aukermann, D. F., Meza, F., Millard, R. L., ... & Albert, A. (2008). 24-Week study on the use of collagen hydrolysate as a dietary supplement in athletes with activity-related joint pain. Current medical research and opinion, 24(5), 1485-1496.
- Choi, F. D., Sung, C. T., Juhasz, M. L., & Mesinkovsk, N. A. (2019). Oral collagen supplementation: a systematic review of dermatological applications. Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD, 18(1), 9-16.
- Song, H., & Li, B. (2017). Beneficial effects of collagen hydrolysate: A review on recent developments. Biomed J Sci & Tech Res, 1(2), 1-4.
- Bongiovanni, T., Genovesi, F., Nemmer, M., Carling, C., Alberti, G., & Howatson, G. (2020). Nutritional interventions for reducing the signs and symptoms of exercise-induced muscle damage and accelerate recovery in athletes: current knowledge, practical application and future perspectives. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 1-32.
- Jimenez, A. How Collagen Improves Body Composition.
- León-López, A., Morales-Peñaloza, A., Martínez-Juárez, V. M., Vargas-Torres, A., Zeugolis, D. I., & Aguirre-Álvarez, G. (2019). Hydrolyzed collagen—sources and applications. Molecules, 24(22), 4031.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.